Punta Gorda/Englewood Beach in the Charlotte Harbor Gulf Island Coast has received recognition far and wide for its desirable lifestyle and expansive natural settings. Accolades range from “Best Place to Live in the South” by Money magazine to being recognized by Sport Fishing magazine as the top spot to fish for tarpon in the world.
- Punta Gorda was named the top "Affordable Down-South Destination to Escape Winter's Chill," by TripAdvisor, Jan. 2016
- Port Charlotte has been named the top U.S. Best Value Destination for 2014 by trivago, the world's largest online hotel search site
- Charlotte Sports Park (spring training home to the Tampa Bay Rays), Port Charlotte, was named USA Today’s 2014 Best Spring Training City.
- "Best Place to Live in the South," Money magazine
- "Best Place to Retire"” Port Charlotte - Money magazine
- "One of the top ten sailing destinations," SAIL magazine
- "Best in America," by Golf Digest, ranked third in nation for place to live and golf.
- "One of the most popular sport-fishing locales in Florida," National Wildlife Federation and the Florida Wildlife Federation, June 2006
- The City of Punta Gorda, "Best Healthy Place to Retire," U.S. News & World Report October 2008
- Englewood, Fla. was named as #2 of the Top Ten emerging travel destinations in the U.S. for 2009 by TripAdvisor.com.
- "Yachting's Top 50 Best Towns," Punta Gorda – Yachting Magazine, 2011
- Number One in "The World’s 14 Top Tarpon Spots" – Sport Fishing magazine, 2010
- Recognized as the Tarpon Capital of the World
- National Register of Historic Places lists 16 Charlotte County properties
ABOUT PUNTA GORDA / ENGLEWOOD BEACH
Located halfway between Tampa and Naples on the Southwest Florida Gulf Coast, Punta Gorda /Englewood Beach is a charming collection of nine coastal communities surrounding the state’s second largest harbor. Florida’s premier year-round eco-tourism destination, the area offers a pristine unspoiled beauty. In 2014, Port Charlotte was named the top “U.S. Best Value Destination” by Trivago (the world’s largest online hotel search site), and the Charlotte Sports Park, spring training home of the Tampa Bay Rays, was voted “Best Spring Training Facility” by readers of USA TODAY. A haven for outdoor enthusiasts, Punta Gorda / Englewood Beach has been named one of SAIL magazine’s “10 Greatest Places to Sail in the United States,” ranked by Golf Digest as “Third Best Place to Live and Play Golf in America,” and rated by MONEY magazine as one of the “Best Places to Live in the South.” Englewood was named second of the Top Ten emerging travel destinations in the U.S. by TripAdvisor.com. The area is served by five airports: The Punta Gorda Airport (PGD) with private and charter air service, Sarasota Bradenton International Airport (SRQ), Southwest Florida International Airport, Ft. Myers, (RSW), St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport (PIE) and Tampa International Airport (TPA). For more information on visiting Punta Gorda / Englewood Beach visit http://PureFlorida.com or call1-800-652-6090.
Aqua Marketing & Communications, Inc. on Behalf of the Punta Gorda/Englewood Beach VCB
Jennifer Huber, Tourism Public Relations Manager
Punta Gorda/Englewood Beach Visitor & Convention Bureau